WoW Scams

Server: Jaedenar! - english please!
Go to #furious.wow on irc.quakenet.org for a live chat!

Moderator: Officers

WoW Scams

Postby Leff » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:43 pm

I cancelled my wow account roughly 6 months after the initial release and, since then, never touched it again.
Yet I'm receiving Scam mails on almost a daily basis. (not even sure if there is a relation, if so: even more scary...) While all the "pleas entre you bankdetails at "www.importantbank2.com" so we can verify you as a real custmoer" stuff is usually just laughable, these scams look so real. There are no typos, the websites are well made and look totally professional, all the other links on them work, the URLS itself seem to be related to blizzard, the sender is usually "noreply@blizzard.com" and I really ask myself how many players out of the 12? 13? million must fell for this, just to see their items stolen, guild accounts empty and chars sold on ebay or traded away elsewhere for real money...

This, and the sheer amount of these pages and mails I receive really get me upset. Running in danger of sounding way too optimistical, is there nothing that can be done against these ppl ?
Leff

Re: WoW Scams

Postby Odeanathus » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:23 pm

Yes, dont be a idiot and signup with your email adress everywhere... Have not had one scam mail.. EVER...

On a more serious note, no you cant do jack, they got your email address in their file.. you're screwed.
When I was in Dalaran someone from Furious wispered me named; Odeanathus.
I had a very nice chat with him, talking about everything, he seems very nice and polite.
So I decided to apply to Furious and hope everyone is like him xD
Odeanathus

Postby Ravenne » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:23 pm

I get these occasionally but you know, Thunderbird is a wonderful e-mail client, very intelligent! ;)

These e-mails are no threat if you guard your passwords like a hawk. If you're the kind of person who shares his password with friends and family then yeah, you're in the dangerzone because you, my friend, is a retard! (Generally speaking of course, rant not aimed at anyone specific!)

A tip, that some people may not be aware of, apart from noticing that links are not pointing at blizzard's site (doh), you can (at least if you use thunderbird) look through the mail and see where it was sent from (in thunderbird just expand the subject line of a mail).

I just got an invitation to Cataclysm beta but it was sent from an Italian spaghetti server... I doubt Blizzard sends mail from random web-hotel in Italy!
Ganorin wrote:Nazi is good, people not adequate for raiding are a kind of untermenschen always remember this. They are monkeys not to be regarded as human beings.

Ravenne
w00telf

Postby Pica » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:54 am

Ravenne wrote:These e-mails are no threat if you guard your passwords like a hawk. If you're the kind of person who shares his password with friends and family then yeah, you're in the dangerzone because you, my friend, is a retard! (Generally speaking of course, rant not aimed at anyone specific!)

:evil:

I barely get spam and I hand passwords to people all the time! But only who I deem competent enough to handle them
Pica

Postby Ravenne » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 am

Pica wrote:
Ravenne wrote:These e-mails are no threat if you guard your passwords like a hawk. If you're the kind of person who shares his password with friends and family then yeah, you're in the dangerzone because you, my friend, is a retard! (Generally speaking of course, rant not aimed at anyone specific!)

:evil:

I barely get spam and I hand passwords to people all the time! But only who I deem competent enough to handle them

... but if you got the mails you'd probably be in danger? :lol: ;)
Ganorin wrote:Nazi is good, people not adequate for raiding are a kind of untermenschen always remember this. They are monkeys not to be regarded as human beings.

Ravenne
w00telf

Return to General news and questions