Gamescon Feedback

Server: Jaedenar! - english please!
Go to #furious.wow on irc.quakenet.org for a live chat!

Moderator: Officers

Gamescon Feedback

Postby Leff » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:57 am

Unfortunately it was impossible to see everything in one (satur)day, mainly due to the queues and the massive amounts of geeks there. There have been moments where I was ashamed of playing games, and other moments where I thought 'damn, that is so cool'.

If I'm going again next year I'll either go 'officially' with the company this time or take a day off during the week, just to avoid the omipresent nerdrange and 4 hours queue for a 10 minutes presentation.

OK, Here's summaries of the 3 games we were interested in the most: APB, SWTOR, AION. Unfortunately Black Prophecy/Global Agenda/Huxley, even though we saw all the companies in the Business Area, did not belong to the exhibitors.

APB:
Ingame trailer of an 'early Version'. When hearing about the game first, I was impressed, now I'm sceptical. The idea of a GTA MMO as MMOFPS is still cool, but for a game that's supposed to be launched in spring 2010 they have lots of work to do. There were no menus, no healthbars, skills, items visible, they didn't show anything actually but one of these 'dual missions' where 2 opponent players would accept a 'quest', one saying to deliver a package somewhere, the other one saying to stop that package from being delivered. And both were able to bring friends so the resulting battle was quite intense, even though the demo was not live (like they pretended) and the guys who recorded it seemed to have never played a shooter before.

I really would have liked to know though how these missions are embedded in the actual game or if I am supposed to simply play GTA multiplayer all the time.
What they made of the Unreal 2 Engine looks OK, but you can't have crysis graphics in an MMOFPS, we all knew that before.
The game will definitely be rated 18+, because all the NPC passer-bys could be shot, driven over and killed randomy and then would lay on the screet with blood allover them instead of 'disappearing magically'

Rating: ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺
Last edited by Leff on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Leff

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby Leff » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:14 am

SWTOR:

I have been sceptical, now I'm impressed. Basically they showed the video walkthrough Warn posted earlier in a very polished version. The presentation was well made and professionally done by the very same guy from the video.
Instead of pink-non transparental energy fields towards the end of part 4, the enemies and the attacking republicans would approach with their ships into massive hangar-gates through which you would see the space-battle outside. During the conversation we had the ability to chose for example if we wanted to kill the captian or spare his live and then see the entire quest turning into something completely different. As a kind of special gimmick they had an ambilightshow installed and showed us the cinematic trailer in the end. It had the 'wow' effect on me, definitely.

The way how cover was used in battles, the very well synchronised character Voices in French, German and English (although we just saw very short clips... with the suggested amount of talking going on we still have to see whether they can keep their quality throughout the game), the entire look and the fact that in a middle of a noisy presentation room, being very sceptical towards the game, they managed to pull me (and all others with me) into the storyline and got us fascinated really dispelled nearly all my doubts.
Absolutely impressive.

Rating: ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☺
Last edited by Leff on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leff

AION

Postby Leff » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:34 am

Aion

To make it short: I'm not impressed. Other were. The parts of the game we saw looked like WoW, just some characters had wings. Their 'live show' was so utterly annoying that we would not be able to stay at their stand for longer than 10 minutes.

Basically nothing they said whenever we had to pass their (impressively looking) stage was related to the game.
A promoter was yelling "DADDY?" and the crowed yelled "MOMMEH"" "BROTHER?" "SISTER!" "NC...?" "SOFT!" and then they would get t-shirts. They had several 'worldwide famous' players of that game on stage, but none of them would say a word unless the crowd bawled their nickname at least 20 or so times. The fact that everyone of them was talking alot gives an impression though how eagerly awaited this game is. Just not by me ;-)

So since they failed to present anything game-related (or made us go away before they did) the only thing I can tell you is that it looked like World of Warcraft and many people want to have Aion T-shirts.

Rating: ☻ ☻ ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺ ☺
Leff

Re: Gamescon Feedback

Postby Ravenne » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:41 am

Cool. I know how sceptical you were about SWTOR so definitely great that they managed to convince you, that bodes well for the game in my opinion - not that I personally need any convincing, I am a Bioware fanboy after all! :mrgreen:
Ganorin wrote:Nazi is good, people not adequate for raiding are a kind of untermenschen always remember this. They are monkeys not to be regarded as human beings.

Ravenne
w00telf

Postby Pulse » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:39 pm

SWTOR
I was a lil sceptical aswell at first. And i still am about that whole "companion" system. But nervertheless it was the only presentation we've seen that really made us smile :)
It was pretty authentic that the footage was played live by 2 staff guys sitting in the back of the room, interacting with the man on the stage who was explaining the mechanics of the game.
What also impressed me was the fact that no character class would run the same quests. So that (if you don't roll the same class twice for any odd reason) you'd never have to run the same quests twice.
But still they showed grouped questing so i asume there will be storyline quests that you can group up for....
They really took their jobs serious and i'm sure the game will be great. Might finally be a rival to WoW. And hell yeah, that's what the mmo scene is waiting for.

APB
Car, mission, run over some obstacles and npcs, get out, shoot people, pick up item one, go to spot 2 pick up item 2,.......drop off item 1 here, item 2 there, shoot someone or even a few of people trying to stop you, and yeah drop off item 3 somewhere else,...........
There was no "how do i start, what are the basics, how do i characterize my character, do i have any choices wich way i wanna go, who i wanna work for, what i get for it,..........??????????????"
Just plain GTA. You do a mission and other players from the opponent faction (police or outlaws, depends on wich side you are) receive a mission offer against your job. And they have some kind of ranking system that shows how expierienced you are. They also didn't tell if that makes you more powerful in any kind or just more "popular" to questgivers and other players.
I was disappointed.

AION
Can't tell much of AION GCwise. There were a lot of pcs where you could play a beta version of the game. But there "show" scared us away everytime we came past their stage.

They failed presenting the game big time. But they successfully showed how retarded people would act just to get a tshirt after yelling "your mommy" - "loves you" and "NC" - "Soft" "brother" - "sister" and a lot other retarded bullshit for 10 times ^^ Scary shit!

Still i'm looking forward to see what the game will be like :P
Last edited by Pulse on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pulse

Postby Ravenne » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:44 pm

APB is that like Auto Assault without the weapons and in present time?
Ganorin wrote:Nazi is good, people not adequate for raiding are a kind of untermenschen always remember this. They are monkeys not to be regarded as human beings.

Ravenne
w00telf

Postby Pulse » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:55 pm

Ravenne wrote:APB is that like Auto Assault without the weapons and in present time?

you can actually shoot out of the moving car if you're not the driver. Pretty cool gimick but looked crap since cars have the sideffect that they move fast. Was pretty hard to hit targets that way. Anyways. They only showed the "police" side. And they had some kind of police pimp sportscar. During the presentation one of the 2 actors stole a car but you didn't even see how he did it since the cam was showing the other dude at that time.
Basically you drive around like in GTA. Then you get out and shoot npcs or players. The mission "interface" is like in GTA: An arrow that shows you where to go. That's it. No story, no real content.

EDIT: And you have nothing like a healthbar. The screen turns red when you are close to death. For whatever reason there was no death animation in the presentation they showed us. They mentioned why but my mind was already focused on consuming food, cold drinks and nicotine :/
Pulse

Postby Litharen » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:39 pm

awww pulse <3 hello ^^

ps: sorry for ninjaing thread
Litharen

Postby Pulse » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 pm

<3
Pulse

Postby Fridge » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:44 pm

mein pulsi <3
Fridge

Postby Leff » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:12 pm

http://www.apb.com/

APB beta signups are live. In the podcast you can see the video that was shown on the Gamescon in Colognia, you can even see pulse and me sitting in the audience room.

I wont make it into the beta with my PC, that's for sure, but maybe anyone of you feel like giving it a try.
Leff

Postby Ravenne » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 pm

I checked out some of their podcasts and I'm really impressed with a lot of the things they're showing, especially the customization - it's off the charts. I signed up for beta, this is one game I'll definitely check out if I get the chance! :)

Ravenne
w00telf

Postby Nancomerian » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:37 am

tbh APB looks decent so i sent req for beta testing and we will see how it goes :) btw any more info on SWTOR i am eager to hear about it ^_^
Nancomerian

Postby Ravenne » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:02 am

Nancomerian wrote:tbh APB looks decent so i sent req for beta testing and we will see how it goes :) btw any more info on SWTOR i am eager to hear about it ^_^

Not much, but they released a clip from the "light" side version of the flashpoint.

Ravenne
w00telf

Return to General news and questions